After five years in school, will homeschooling be a fit for our family? Walk with us as we try to find out!

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Weekly Wrap Up: The One without a Witty Title

Joining the Weird, Unsocialized HomeschoolersHomegrown Learners and The Homeschool Chick...

Well, I wish I could say that things have improved on the bickering front, but alas they have not.  The only difference I can see from last week to this is that they have decided to throw a measure of complaining into the mix this week.  So, we have spent plenty of time on character development (mine and theirs!) again this week.  And I am trying not to grow weary in this.
"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart."  Galatians 6:9
Monday morning was a typical homeschool morning.  At noon, we packed a lunch and ate in the car on the way to a writing class offered through our homeschool group for TS 1.  He literally just completed his writing curriculum for this year last week when I noticed that there were still openings in the class.  The teacher is a college senior, who was also homeschooled, and has a passion for writing.  TS1 loved the class and is looking forward to the next ten weeks!  The class is held on the beautiful grounds of an economic "think tank."  TS 2 and I sat outside and finished up his afternoon work during the class.  It was lovely.


Papa arrived on our doorstep Tuesday morning to stay with TS 2 for an hour while I took TS 1 to a dentist appointment.  He had to have one of his baby teeth pulled.  While I know TS 1 was nervous (and so was I, honestly), it turned out to be a low stress/low pain experience.  Neither of us even knew when the tooth came out, actually!  I love our dentist- he is just so fantastic with kids.

On Tuesday evening, I went to our homeschool group's monthly mother's meeting.  This month's meeting was actually a homeschool information night aimed at prospective homeschoolers.  I brought a close friend who is considering homeschooling next year.  Although we are almost three-quarters through our first year of homeschooling, I still learned a lot at the meeting and was excited to encourage prospective homeschoolers.  If I can homeschool, anyone who wants to do it, can!  


Have I mentioned how much I LOVE our homeschool group?  I am convinced that our group and its associated activities, classes, field trips and co-op have been instrumental in our experiment's success.  Through the group, I have learned so much about homeschooling, state requirements, curriculum, etc.  The test subjects have been able to have frequent outings with other children.  They have been exposed to fun and enriching instruction I would not have covered at home this year.  If you are not already a part of a homeschooling group in your area, I highly recommend finding one!


The weather has been gorgeous most of the week- unseasonably warm and sunny!  We spent three hours outside on Thursday getting our school work done and enjoying the warmth and fresh air.  


Friday brought co-op and I am ever so happy it did!  We wrapped up our Friday with our weekly playdate with friends from church.  


Our third quarter ends next week and I can hardly believe it!  We are really in the homestretch now.  


The Homeschool Mother's Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment