After five years in school, will homeschooling be a fit for our family? Walk with us as we try to find out!

Friday, November 4, 2011

Weekly Wrap Up: The One with the October Snowstorm

Joining the Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers once again...

Remember our fun weekend plans from the end of last week's post?  
"We have a fun weekend planned!  Starting with pizza and a play date with some friends from church tonight, baseball clinic and Harvest Festival at church on Saturday, church on Sunday morning and a quiet (hopefully) afternoon afterwards." 
 Well, things did not go quite as planned...

We did have our pizza and play date on Friday night.  Everyone had a lot of fun!  Toward the very end of the night, I was feeling a bit under the weather.  Since it was late and I was tired, I did not think too much of it.  Turns out, I spent the night tossing and turning with fever and a sore throat.  I dragged myself to the baseball clinic on Saturday morning because it was the last one and TS 2 has been begging me to come see him play.  

I spent the rest of Saturday in and out of bed with fever.  When I was out of bed, I watched in astonishment as the snow from a rare October Nor'easter piled up outside our windows.  The Harvest Festival at church was re-scheduled for after service on Sunday.    

By early evening, there was enough snow on the ground for the kids to play with and even make a mini snowman.  

After dark, we carved pumpkins, while we watched the snow fall.  It was weird.

Sometime in the middle of the night Saturday, we lost power.  We were out until Monday night. Many in our area were out of power as the wet, heavy snow was too much for the trees and large limbs came down on power lines everywhere. Church services were cancelled as was the Harvest Festival.  Tom set up the generator and our friend came and hooked up the boiler to the generator so by late afternoon, we had heat and hot water again :)  

Monday was a fairly routine day despite the fact that my sore throat and fevers had morphed into a persistent cough.  Since it was sunny, we were able to do school despite the lack of electricity.  We even hooked the computer up the generator for a time so TS 1 & 2 could watch their Math-U-See DVDs and do their Spanish and Keyboarding programs.  

TS 1 entered his second week with the new Bible workbook I ordered from Sonlight, Standing Strong.  He loves it and I am so happy! It does exactly what I hoped, which is to teach him how to read the Bible on his own, think critically about what he has read and apply it to his own life.  I highly recommend it!

Our power came back on Monday night while we were out trick or treating with our cousins.  We were very, very happy :)

Tuesday was another productive day at home.  We spent most of our history time this week learning about King Arthur.  King Arthur is one of those iconic figures everyone knows but I knew very little about, until this week.  One of the big perks of homeschooling for me is the education I'm getting right along with the test subjects.  

Once again, piano lessons were very productive on Tuesday and I am so proud of how the boys continue to practice daily (sometimes multiple times a day) without reminders from me!

Since my hacking cough still had not let up by Wednesday, I decided to spare my Bible study classmates the germs and stayed away.  Since our super-amazing babysitter was still scheduled to come, I took the opportunity to run some errands in the morning and grab a coffee with a dear friend from school.  The test subjects did a great job once again working diligently through their independent work while I was out.  I am starting to wonder if they work better independently when I am not at home.  Things that make you go hmm.

RA was worker of the week at school and we all went to CHapel service to see her receiver her award.  Her class was also singing the opening hymn for service.  It was very sweet.

Wednesday afternoon we all went to a friend's house to watch Alladin as a fun wrap up activity to our Arabian studies.  It was scheduled to take place at our house but we lost power for a few hours again on Wednesday and had to make a last minute change.

On Thursday, we updated our TOG lapbooks by creating a Coat of Arms and an information booklet about King Arthur.  I also received the new spelling program I chose for TS 2, All About Spelling.  I chose it based on the fact that he learned to read with a similar Orton-Gillingham based program at school so the style and content will be similar to both of us.  It took about 2 hours to set up the program on Thursday afternoon!  I hope it will be more user friendly from here on out.  We plan to start using it on Monday.

And because I had not lost enough sleep hacking up my left lung this past week, both boys woke with fever and sore throats in the wee hours of Friday morning.  Needless to say, we skipped co-op and camped out in front of the television most of the day.  It was just what I needed, actually, as I am worn out.  

I'm starting to think about the paperwork for the district that will be due soon for us.  As much as I am not looking forward to the paperwork aspect of it, I do look forward to analyzing just how far each test subject has come in each academic area.

Here's hoping for a more uneventful weekend for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment