After five years in school, will homeschooling be a fit for our family? Walk with us as we try to find out!

Friday, September 23, 2011

Weekly Wrap Up

I'm joining Kris from Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers (how much do you love that title?!?) for the first time with a wrap up post about our week.

Monday began with TS 1 feeling under the weather.  At first, I thought it was allergies so after we dropped RA off at school we hit CVS for some Zyrtec.  When he felt worse and not better by lunch, I knew something else was brewing.  By the time we made it to the doctor after lunch, he had a fever.  Turns out it was an ear and throat infection.  Even though he went on an antibiotic right away, he still did not feel much better until Thursday afternoon.  Despite the illness, both TS 1 & 2 got all their school work done Monday.  We had our first Kindergarten Family Night scheduled Monday evening  at school, so RA, TS 2 and I went while TS 1 and dad stayed home and rested.

On Wednesday, we flipped our schedule around quite a bit.  We did a little school first thing in the morning after RA went off the Kindergarten.  Then our babysitter stayed with the boys for a few hours so I could attend the weekly Bible study I've been participating in for 9 years.  When I returned, we finished up our work.  I was not sure this switched up schedule would work but it seemed to work just fine.  I'm hoping to be able to continue!


As I think I've mentioned, our Lead Investigator, Tom, aka Dad is teaching science twice a week in the evenings.  This week, they finished up the introductory lesson in their Astronomy text and wrapped it up on Thursday night with a super cool model of the Solar System to teach the relative sizes of the planets.  They all loved it.


Friday is our homeschool co-op day.  TS 1 & 2 each take Art, PE and Science Enrichment classes with other local homeschoolers at co-op.  Last Friday was the first session and they loved it!  So, despite the dreary, rainy day, we set off right after RA's drop off.  It was a great day for the kids.  And me!  I loved being around other moms- I miss that.

TS 1 made a catapult in his science class and TS 2 made a model of a bee in his Honeybee class.  They each worked on their Byzantine Mosaics in Art.  PE was, well, PE- they love it!  Did I mention here that my assignment in co-op is assistant PE teacher?  Not exactly what I would have chosen for myself but I'm honestly having a great time so far :)



All in all, it was a great week.  Despite sickness, we got all our work done.  And they boys are having that free time I wanted for them to spread their wings and grow :)






No comments:

Post a Comment