After five years in school, will homeschooling be a fit for our family? Walk with us as we try to find out!

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Unexpected Consequences

I am enjoying two consequences of homeschooling that I had not considered at all while we were deciding whether or not to begin Our Great Homeschool Experiment.  First, because I am so involved in what TS 1 & 2 are learning, we are having natural, everyday conversations that are extensions of our formal learning times.  As much as I wanted to do that while they were in school, the truth is, it is hard to keep up with all they are learning when you are not there.  But now, a simple dinner time discussion about bullies, for example, flows naturally into follow up discussion on the barbarians we are learning about in History, such as Attila the Hun.  It's been fun and fulfilling to help them make connections between book knowledge and real life application of knowledge.

The other, not quite so lofty or intellectual, benefit of homeschooling so far is that I think I am losing weight.  Who has time to eat???

No comments:

Post a Comment